RESEARCH CONSULTATION-INTERVIEW INTERPRETER ASSISTANCE-BOOK ACQUISITION IN INDIA & ABROAD ON DEMAND
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Pema Chodron. When things fall apart-heart advice for difficult times. 2026
I wanted this book to be wrong. Desperately. I knew what it was going to ask me to admit if it was right, and I wasn't ready to admit it, so for the first thirty pages I fought Pema Chödrön the way you fight someone you already suspect is telling you the bitter truth.
I was hoping, genuinely hoping, that a Buddhist nun who'd spent decades studying the human mind had simply gotten it wrong this time. But Pema kept talking, and you could hear from her voice that she'd clearly made peace with everything she is saying. Even that bothered me.
Here's the sentence that started the argument. She says the things falling apart in your life are not a malfunction. That the ground was never solid to begin with; you were never actually standing on anything, you'd just gotten remarkably good at not noticing.
She says the anxious, ungrounded feeling you're trying so hard to fix is not a problem to be solved. It's just what it feels like to be a person, accurately, for once, without the usual padding.
I did not want to hear that. I wanted solutions. I wanted five steps. I wanted someone to hand me the ground back. Pema, gently, yet infuriatingly, refuses. And it took me embarrassingly long to realize that refusal is the entire gift of this book.
Pema has this idea, unconditional friendship with yourself, and it sounds soft until you actually try to practise it, and then you realise it might be one of the hardest things a person can do. To meet your own fear, your own shame, your own spiralling 2 am thoughts, not with another wave of self-improvement, but with something closer to how you'd sit with a frightened child:
I see you. I'm not going anywhere.
She tells a story about a woman who kept having nightmares about monsters chasing her, invading her space. She tries everything to get rid of them: yelling at them, barricading the door, and trying to analyze them. Nothing works, until one night, exhausted, she turned around, looked the monsters in the eye, and said, I see you. You're not going away, so let's see what you have to teach me.
And the monsters froze. They had no idea what to do with someone who stopped running. I read that over and again because I knew exactly which monsters she was talking about. I have a few of my own that have been very comfortable chasing me for years, precisely because I never once turned around.
And then there's the line that I think about more than almost anything else I've read: nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know. I didn't want that to be true either. I wanted things to just go away, old grief, old patterns, old fears, through sheer avoidance, if necessary.
But avoidance, it turns out, is just a very elaborate waiting room. The thing doesn't leave. It just keeps tapping you on the shoulder, in slightly different outfits, until you finally look at it.
I need to tell you about the audiobook, too. I listened to it recently, late at night, read by Christy Meyer, and something about receiving these ideas as sound instead of text undid me in an entirely new way. I lay there in the dark and listened and felt a particular quality of quiet settle inside me, which is rare for me, and which Pema Chödrön somehow manages to produce from well beyond the page.
This is the book I keep returning to, not because I've mastered anything inside it. I very much have not. I still resist. I still want the five steps some days. I still, on the bad ones, run from the monsters instead of turning around to meet them.
But every single time I come back to these pages, something in me recognizes the voice, the way you recognize an old friend who never once asked you to be anything other than exactly what you are in that particular moment.
What this book does to me, every time, is remind me that falling apart was never the emergency I assumed it was. That there's a way to be here, fully inside the mess, without needing the mess to become anything other than what it already is.
I don't know if I'll ever stop disagreeing with parts of it. I also don't know if I'll ever stop coming back to it.
And right now, that's the only endorsement that actually matters. Not what I believed after the first thirty pages. What I do when things fall apart.
I reach for this book. Every single time.
BOOK: https://amzn.to/4zk3UZn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment